Lula Mae Walker Scholarship Program
Covenant Outreach Services, NFP (COSNFP) understands the importance of receiving additional financial assistance to pursue higher education. We want to help. Therefore, we have created our way of support through the Lula Mae Walker Scholarship Program (LWSP) because you are our future leader.
We are pleased to invite high school seniors and college and trade students seeking higher education to apply for the Lula Mae Walker Scholarship.
COSNFP has two financial assistance programs:
Tabitha Scholarship – If awarded, this scholarship pays the recipient up to $1,000 per school year.
To be considered for the Tabitha Scholarship, a student must:
- Be a high school senior, college, or trade school student who is a resident of Illinois.
- Have been accepted in an accredited trade school, college, or university.
- Have an average grade of C or higher
- Demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
- Complete the application process.
- Submitted a complete application with required documents
- Met the application deadline
- Met the scholarship requirements
- Approved by the LWSP Committee and Board
Reasons for Application Denial
- Does not meet the scholarship requirements
- Did not submit a completed application and required documents
- Did not meet the application deadline
- Committee and Board did not determine a financial need for the LWSP scholarship
Scholarships will be awarded based on application quality, academic excellence (grade of C or higher), community service and activities, and letters of recommendation.
Listed below are the requirements needed to complete the scholarship application process.
- Completed application
- Two letters of recommendation from a teacher, church, or other adults. Recommendations from a relative or COSNFP board member will not be accepted.
- Proof of acceptance into a university, junior college, or trade school
- High School transcript, if applicable
- Proof of current residency
Once accepted, additional requirements will be requested.
Essay Requirements (250 words maximum)
Write an essay that integrates the following topics:
- Why should you be awarded a scholarship or financial assistance?
- What are your career goals?
- What are your vocational goals?
Hardship Assistance – If awarded, the recipient receives a one-time financial or in-kind assistance such as books, computers, and housing assistance in the amount of $500 – $1000.
Please Note: A recipient can receive either a Tabitha Scholarship or Hardship Assistance, not both.